Meet Nancy McCarley


My name is Nancy McCarley, and this is my story!

I was born Nancy Lindsey to Charles and Louella Lindsey, and a sister to Gary and Roger Lindsey. I was raised in Detroit, MI until the age of maturity. I thought the age of maturity was 13 but my parents quickly showed me differently…. We were raised in the Assembly of God church. My parents maintained the “if you live under this roof, you’ll do what we say.” Today, I am so thankful they kept us in church all our lives.

I attended a private business college, Northwood Institute, in Midland Michigan. I majored in business management and minored in advertising/marketing. I was able to continue my college education throughout my employment with the Army through Boston College. In 1977 I married Marvin Dykes, a career soldier, and the Army saw the need to move us all over the world. During that time, we gave birth to Kimberly (now Kimberly Fretwell, married to Jason Fretwell) and Karen Dykes.

I worked for Department of Defense for over 20 years in the area of training and development and research. My favorite place that I have lived is Berlin, Germany. I have visited Poland, Belgium, Holland, Russia, Czek, Austria, Portugal, Canada, England, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Rome, Italy, Greece, several other little countries and 48 states. I have not been to Alaska or Hawaii. I love to travel.

Traveling to third world countries is when and where I learned how lucky I was to be an American. How blessed I was to have so much freedom in so many areas and just how spoiled I was. As we travel to third-world countries my life began to change. It was then that I realized how easy it is to “give”. When you have so much, and you meet people who have so little, you realize how easy it is to help others.

My life changed in 1997 after a divorce. I became a single mom, and moved to Alabama with my daughters. I went to work for the District Attorney in 1997 until 2002.

I was in no hurry to get married again, but I prayed often that God would send me someone at the right time. In May 2001 Girlie Ray McCarley and I got married. He is a wonderful husband, and is a wonderful step-father to Kimberly and Karen. I also became a “bonus mom” since Ray had a daughter, Lynn. And we have one terrific, sports minded, no-holds barred, grandson, Ty Raper. My daughter Kimberly (& Jason) are expecting their first child (a girl) on/about January 25, 2007.

My hobbies are writing, cooking and traveling. I have flown ultra-light airplanes, and bunji-jumped (which I REALLY loved). I thoroughly enjoy Christian music. I take music personal. I like to close my eyes and get a complete visual of the words of a song. My very favorite song right now is by Michael Combs, “It Was Me”. My favorite foods are Chinese and Italian foods. I hate fish.

I am thankful for my best friend, Cynthia Stidham. Whether she knows it or not, she has mentored me tremendously. I consider myself exceedingly blessed to have her as my (best) friend, my Sunday School teacher, and a ‘sister’.

The most exciting thing(s) to happen to me are (1) the births of my daughters (2) my miracle healing in my body an (3) the day I listened and obeyed God at the Waffle House on Christmas Eve in Destin, Florida !

I lost my mother in January 2005 and my father in November 2005. My oldest brother Gary passed away in 2001. I look forward to the day when we will all be together again.

I am thankful for my church family. I don’t know what I would do without all of them!


"Nancy is a wonderful person. My trip to Milwaukee for Brain Surgery turned into a doosey of a vacation because Nancy is so much fun. She is a very kind and caring person and works hard to serve God. I thank God that He brought her to our community, to our church and especially as a friend to me." ---Tina Stults

No comments: